Thursday, June 25, 2009

All signs point to Hansbrough

We're a little over an hour away from Draft night, and I just got done giving my take of Tyler Hansbrough on the show. Even though I think he will never be an NBA-caliber starter, I would be pretty surprised if the Pacers didn't use their 13th overall selection on him if he was available. Here are the reasons why:
....
1) Hansbrough was an extremely productive college player that stayed all four years at North Carolina. Larry Bird said he prefered 3-4 year college players over one-and-done or unproven European prospects.

2) Hansbrough fits in with the Pacers' new philosophy of bringing in high-character players. As far as I know, the kid has never even had a parking ticket.

3) He's a 6'8 (ish) power forward that can come in and immediately add depth to the frontcourt. With only Murphy (who isn't a banger), Hibbert (foul trouble), Foster (injury concerns), and McRoberts (12th man) on the depth chart, that is an area of need.

4) Bird raved about him at his press conference.

The only stipulation I'll put in there is that if Gerald Henderson is available, I think he's the pick. Henderson played with Bird on some of the really strong Celtics' teams of the 1980s. That being said, I doubt Henderson is available because he's been projected as high as #8 to the Knicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment