Sunday, January 11, 2009

Baggage Claim

When flying back from Connecticut to see my folks from Christmas, I turned on my phone once reaching the baggage claim at the Indy Airport. I had received two texts during my flight, and both were from my dad.


"Vikings long FG wins it...20-19."

"Dallas loses big, TB lost, bears lose, i can't believe we're going to get philly..."

Right then, I knew.

Maybe it's some warped kind of "mother's intuition" - I really don't know how to explain it. There are rare times when I know that my team is going to lose.

It hadn't happened since before Game 7 of the ALCS. The Red Sox had come back to tie the series after back-to-back walk-off wins and a lopsided victory in the infamous "A-Rod slap" game. Before Game 7, I cued up Sinatra on my computer, I put on my Mattingly t-shirt, I called my dad - I did everything to get fired up for that game.

But, I knew it. I knew that the completion of the all-time collapse was inevitable. I had the same feeling before Boston College handed Notre Dame their first loss of the 2002 season. I had the same feeling before Game 6 of the 2000 Eastern Conference Finals against the Pacers.

I felt bad about the Eagles/Giants matchup all this week and those worries came to fruition on Sunday. Home game, against a bitter rival and underdog. It was too easy.

If there is one undeniable truth I've learned in the unpredictable world of sports, it's this: The team that plays like they have nothing to lose, always wins.

Six weeks until pitchers and catchers report...

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's be thankful for your motherly intuition Schultzy! I pretty much have that feeling before every ND/BC game...

    Thanks for the Spring Training reminder...God baseball is great. What are your female parts saying about your Yanks? If the Pinstripes stay healthy in the rotation, they may just be too much. You have to admit, on the opposite side Theo has done a pretty nice job filling in holes and adding low-risk/high reward type of guys....sorry i posted funny...i'm a new blog-dog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really sure how signing a pitcher that turns 43 this Spring, is coming off major arm surgery, and that won't be back until May at the earliest is "high reward."

    Theo really screwed the pooch by letting Teixiera walk to the Yankees. That dude was born to be on the Red Sox.

    They still are stocked with young prospects, but I'm just not sure what they think they're going to get out of guys like Wakefield, Varitek, and Smoltz who are all well over-the-hill. That offense will be nowhere near as strong with that gaping hole in the middle of their lineup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaaa Waaaa the Giants lost, so let me pretend that I knew it would happen to make me feel better about myself.

    Face it Schultz, you didnt know they would lose, but when they did it made you realize that Eli Manning is not an elite Quarterback and never will be. Fourth and 1....let me just tip toe up the middle and see what happens.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. 49ers since 2003:
    7-9, 2-14, 4-12, 7-9, 5-11, 7-9.

    i'd be bitter too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brad Penny and John Smoltz are both low COST and risk, high reward, in my book. The Sox don't need Smoltz to win. By no means are they better "on paper", but the Sox can stack up. You are right about Smoltz and Varitek, but Wakefield can be 50 and still be effective with his knuckleball. His numbers are pretty solid, all things considered he is a very solid, reliable, veteran #5 and he can pitch from the pen. Way to much time spent on Wakefield just now.

    Teixiera is a monster. Almost as huge as CC. Your lineup is ridiculous. As far as BoSox go, you can't replace a Manny, but they are pretty solid. I'm sure you hate Pedroia, but he is nails.

    ReplyDelete