Thursday, September 23, 2010

New Kid on the Block

I'm what you would call a traditional sports fan. Though I embarrassingly admit to watching the debut of the XFL, and attending several live WWE events in my lifetime, I mainly stick to the sports that have history.

Mixed martial arts, and more specifcially the UFC, aren't really my thing. Don't get me wrong, I can understand why two guys in a cage with no rules (basically) and a variety of fighting styles meshed into one "anything goes" match is popular. However, it's just never really translated for me. I compare it to horror movies. Some people like being frightened. They pay money to be scared for two hours in a dark theatre. That's not my thing. I get it, it's just not for me.

The UFC is having an event in Indianapolis for the first time on Saturday, and the popularity of the sport is at an all-time high. We even had Chris "Lights Out" Lytle on the radio show today to plug it. As much as I may be opposed to following the sport, it may get to a point where I'm forced to.

I haven't given the UFC much of a chance. But, if the attendance and PPV numbers are true, maybe I should reconsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment