Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Catching up...

I'm back from my mini-vacation to Chicago/South Bend (exotic). Here are some of the thoughts I have on some of the events the past couple of days:

South Bend isn't South Beach, but still enjoyable

THUMBS UP TO DAHNTAY: Though it's far from a blockbuster deal, I don't see any downsides in bringing in free agent Dahntay Jones. He adds a defensive prescence, which is what this franchise has needed for years, and he comes at a bargain price of $11 million over four years.

USUAL SUSPECTS: After Justin Wilson's big win at Watkin's Glen, things returned to normal for the IRL over the weekend at Toronto. Ganassi/Penske went 1-2-3-4 with Dario Franchitti, Ryan Briscoe, Will Power, and Scott Dixon.
.
PRINCE = HR KING: Sure it wasn't quite up to par of Josh Hamilton circa 2008, but Prince Fielder still got the job done in an enertaining Home Run Derby win over Nelson Cruz and others. Fielder launched a 503-foot blast en route to victory. You could only wonder what this kid would do if he sucked about 20-25 pounds...

LEBRON THE DIVA: I'm not sure if the dunk-gate story is an elaborate marketing scheme by Nike as one caller mentioned, but if it's not, then the issue is another link on what is becoming a disturbing chain. First, LeBron walked out on shaking hands, then he blew an opportunity to apologize for it - now he's confiscating videotapes of himself getting dunked on? That even makes Mariah Carey blush.

One last thing, there are way too many tolls on the way to Chicago. I have to pay on the Indiana Toll Road, pay to get on the Skyway, and pay one other unknown toll for an unknown reason - and all tolls are both ways! Back East, I may pay six bucks to get over the GW (that's George Washington Bridge to you), but I only have to pay it once going southbound to Jersey. I don't have to sit in traffic TWICE. Outside of that, I love Chicago and always enjoy visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment